An intricate tale of a dysfunctional family with a dark secret... The Prince of Tides was an excellent read.
On receiving the book, I admit to my apprehension of the 550+ pages. I kept away from it for some time, worried it would bore me to death.
I was pleasantly surprised, however, to find how interesting the story was. It grabbed my attention from the first few pages *that's a definite keeper for me* and kept it.
I love The Prince of Tides because of its' twists and turns, and the wonderful characters. For those of you who have read the book, Luke Wingo was my favorite character. He was strong and wise, and very intelligent in his own way. He is truly a remarkable character, and because of him, I discovered in myself a new respect and love for, "rednecks."
I liked Tom for his funny remarks, though I pitied him and his past. I personally think he is stronger than he gave himself credit for.
Savannah I felt very sorry for. She is in the most pitiable state, I think; but I will say no more on her, as to not give anything away.
Together, the Wingo children were their strongest, and most lovable. They endured so much together, and without each other, they surely would have died.
Though a great story, I would not say this book is for anyone under the age of 15. It can be a bit disturbing, and greatly saddening. But it's wonderful all the same, and I think the darkness in the book brings out the good in our three main characters.
I highly recommend The Prince of Tides. I was looking at reviews of the book online and found this single line which I agree with wholeheartedly: "Some books make you laugh; some make you cry; some make you think. The Prince of Tides is a rarity: It does all three." — Detroit Free Press.
I could not agree with it more. The Prince of Tides is an amazing book. I recommend it for whoever wants to read a great story.

No comments:
Post a Comment